Being able to shut out the chatter in your mind and concentrate on the one thing you want to achieve, is one of the most important abilities you need to have in life. It is your key to success!
When you really want to do something and place all your mental capacity on achieving it, you will find that you have hidden powers. You will be able to learn new skills and remember more than you ever thought possible.
People who attain this level of concentration are often said to be ‘in the zone’. They are able to shut out all distractions and totally concentrate on the subject or activity to hand. This is how athletes reach the top of their discipline by focussing totally on what they are about to do.
The good news is that you have the power to fully concentrate, but as with most of us, you are not able to focus on one thing for long enough to make it happen when you most need it.
Being able to fully concentrate on what you want to achieve is similar to the general light being focussed into and powerful laser beam targeted on a single object. When you are distracted by your surroundings or by your own thoughts you are not able to fully concentrate and the laser-like power is lost. You may put in the same amount of effort but the mind is not fully with you and you do not get a deep impression of the subject you are studying and it is soon forgotten.
Clever people have the ability to concentrate all their energy on what they want, without hesitating or deviating knowing that this will finally get them what they want.
How can you do this?
Follow these simple tips and, with practice, you can improve your ability to concentrate and improve your chances of success in anything that you do.
Do It Now!
1. Make sure that you are in the right setting to study and have all that you need. Change your location to a place where you have more chance of concentrating if you need to.
2. Know when you are most receptive to learning. Some people study best in the early morning, afternoon, night. We are all different, so it is important to know when you are in right mood to study. If your mind is somewhere else then either go and sort that out first or change your study habits.
3. Make regular time slots and prepare yourself both mentally and physically to study.
4. Before you begin just spend a minute to quiet your mind and think about what you want to achieve. This will help to prepare you mentally for the session ahead.
5. Practice concentrating on one thing during the day. Some suggest that meditation helps train the mind for improved concentration but you don’t have to go that far. Just try concentrating on something for 5 minutes without looking up or checking your phone. Once you can do this then increase this to 10 minutes.
This will help to train your mind to be quiet and concentrate on one thing so that you can use this when you are studying.
6. Divide tasks into manageable sections and concentrate on achieving each one one-by-one. This will give you a shorter period to concentrate for and give you a feeling of success as each small step is achieved. Helping to keep you motivated to concentrate further.
7. You can use study music which is designed to help calm the mind and improve concentration. It is not for everyone but it does help to cut out any distracting noise.
If you want to read more, this article from ‘The Art of Manliness’ is a good place to start.
Links The Art of Manliness –Your-concentration-training-program-11-exercises-that-will-strengthen-your-attention.